- Assessing knowledge, skills, and tendencies that reflect current changes in educational curricula
- Measuring the students’ abilities in employing knowledge to everyday situations at school, home, or the community
- Comparing student achievement levels and the educational system in Saudi Arabia with the performance and achievements of other participating countries
- Measuring the current level of the educational environment, as well as the impact of developmental programs by comparing them with the results of previous cycles of the study
- Supporting decision makers and educational systems by pinpointing strengths and weaknesses to improve educational environments
On an international scale, the tests are supervised by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). In Saudi Arabia however, they are supervised by the National Center for Assessment (NCA), an ETEC affiliate.
Mathematics, science, and reading
Arabic and English
Participating countries collaborate to develop the overall framework and content of the tests under the supervision of OECD. Each country is responsible for translating and adapting test content and instruments to its locale, as well as administering the tests to a representative sample of schools. The instruments include:
1. Question booklets:
One of the three subjects will be emphasized in each cycle by an allocation of 70% (For example, mathematics was the focus in 2021). The remaining two subjects will each receive 15%.
The study offers multiple surveys. Saudi Arabia will participate in the following surveys:
- School surveys (to be completed by school leaders or their representatives)
PISA in Saudi Arabia:
Saudi Arabia participated in the 2018 cycle, and it will participate in the next cycle. Field tests for the next cycle will be held during the first quarter of 2020.